Dive deep with Bara El Kurdi, MD, host of the GI StartUp podcast, as he shares the critical importance of innovation in GI. This conversation is a goldmine for anyone passionate about the evolving landscape of gastroenterology and digital health.
- The Changing Landscape of Gastroenterology (GI): Bara El Kurdi, MD emphasizes the rapid changes occurring in the field of gastroenterology. He believes that the GI field is ripe for disruption and innovation, with advancements not just in endoscopy but also in areas like digital health, IBS, IBD, imaging, and various endoscopic tools.
- The Importance of Being Proactive: Clinicians are advised to be proactive and stay updated with the latest developments in the field. He stresses the importance of foreseeing changes and having a backup plan to adapt to any situation, ensuring they remain at the forefront of their specialty.
- Innovation and the Role of Technology: Bara El Kurdi, MD highlights the vast potential of technologies like artificial intelligence (AI) in healthcare. He mentions various innovations in the GI field, from computer vision and AI-assisted polyp detection to quality characterization. He also discusses his involvement in a startup focused on harnessing AI’s potential in healthcare.
Dr. Bara El Kurdi’s raises a red alert for GI. He says, “If something happens and your income has to be cut down by 40% or 50%, you only have yourself to blame…you should have a back-up plan ready and be able to move forward in any type of situation or scenario.”
It’s one of those interviews you’d want to listen more than once.
- “GI field is changing a lot. And it’s really ripe for disruption”
- What happens if CMS decides not to pay as much for colonoscopies?
- Advice to young clinicians
- Where is gastroenterology on an industry aging curve?
- Private practice GI vs. hybrid model
- “I started looking into places where I could practice clinical gastroenterology and at the same time be able to innovate”
- What do young gastroenterologists want from the industry?
- “There’s always pressure on you to increase your endoscopy volume”
- What do young GIs think about private equity consolidation?
- Exposure to AI during education
- Landscape of AI in GI
- Dr. Bara El Kurdi on his new startup initiative
- What’s the future of gastroenterology?