Here are five leading physicians in the field of gastroenterology:
- Ajay Jain, MD: A Professor of Pediatrics, Pharmacology, and Physiology at the Saint Louis University School of Medicine and SLUCare Group at SSM Health in St. Louis. Dr. Jain has made significant contributions in the field of parenteral nutrition associated multisystem injury. He has been recognized with multiple national and international awards, patents, presentations, and publications.
- Barbara Jung, MD: Currently serving as the President of the American Gastroenterological Association, Dr. Jung is also the first woman to serve as the chair of internal medicine at the University of Washington in Seattle. Her clinical focus is on hereditary GI diseases.
- Omar Khokhar, MD: The Medical Director for Eastland SurgiCenter in Bloomington, Illinois, Dr. Khokhar is also the managing partner for the newly formed Illinois GastroHealth. He advises multiple start-ups in the gastroenterology and orthopedic landscape, particularly focusing on remote and virtual technology.
- Robert Schoen, MD: A Professor of Medicine and Epidemiology at the University of Pittsburgh, Dr. Schoen’s research focuses on the early detection and prevention of colorectal cancer. He has also been involved in developing a tool to evaluate colonoscopy quality and recently received the 2024 Research Mentor Awards from the American Gastroenterological Association.
- Dhiraj Yadav, MD: Another Professor of Medicine at the University of Pittsburgh, Dr. Yadav’s research centers on pancreatic disease. He co-directs the Enhancing Mentoring to Improve Research in Gastroenterology program for the university’s Division of Gastroenterology, Hepatology, and Nutrition. He too was a recipient of the 2024 Research Mentor Awards from the American Gastroenterological Association.
These physicians are making significant strides in the field of gastroenterology, pushing the boundaries of research, treatment, and patient care.