John Allen, M.D is the Chief Clinical Officer of the University of Michigan Medical Group and is also on the board of Allina Health. In 2019, AGA presented its highest honor, the Julius Friedenwald Medal for his contributions to gastroenterology. Previously, he was the chief of Digestive Diseases at Yale and helped build Minnesota Gastroenterology (now MNGI), one of the largest GI practices in the country.
This interview is so insightful that it’ll help you make several business and personal decisions for the long haul. Here’s specifically what you’ll take away:
1) What does it take lead calmly and steadily through a crisis? Especially a large health system
2) Planning for another pandemic (or another wave) should it occur
3) Fundamental shifts in GI and US healthcare economics that we are not yet recognizing
4) Weighing pros and cons of private equity
5) Future of gastroenterology – technology, consolidation, ethics and morals